03 March, 2008

To lose a child...

We adopted Breanna Arielle almost ten years ago, a tiny 4-year-old girl with big blue eyes and a smile that would melt your heart. Breanna was born 12 weeks too soon and had severe cerebral palsy as well as epilepsy but had such a sweet spirit and a belly laugh that was contagious. Three years ago, Breanna had a reaction to a medication she was on that caused her to have a 109 degree fever and we almost lost her. That fever destroyed most of her brain cells and left her bedbound and unable to eat or play or crawl, three of the things she loved most. And she was unable to tolerate sitting in a wheelchair for more than a few minutes without being in severe pain, so she was unable to attend church. I think that hurt her the most, as she just loved being there listening to the music and feeling the spirit.
Breanna almost died 3 years ago but for some reason decided to hang around a little longer. My husband said that she wasn't finished doing the job she was sent here to do.
So many changes have happened in those 3 years in our family, and through it all, Breanna has lain in her bed just happy to be here with us, and was still able to laugh at whatever struck her funny---all the burps and sneezes and whenever I dropped something and said "Oh shoot" ...that contagious belly laugh would echo through the house.
Breanna went to be with Heavenly Father tonight. I hope she is running through the fields of heaven. I know she is laughing. We will miss you BreBre.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Lou,

    I'm so, so very sorry. To you, Stew, everyone. God has to know what He's doing, I have to believe that, to believe she's in a far better place, where she's free of any pain or impediment. Yeah, Lou, running through fields, laughing, unafraid, surely not alone. God will hold her for you until you all meet again. I love you so much. Breanna will always be with all of us. I know, like you, she's always in my heart. I don't know that there's anything I can say or do...I'll be here if you want or need to talk.

    So much love and hugs, Honey.

    ~r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lou,

    I am a friend of Roberta's and was involved in a minor way in the hot tub project. I am very sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking care of and loving Breanna while she was here. She was very lucky to have you.

    Love,
    Gregg Hollmann
    East Windsor, NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. The loss of a child is so hard. We lost our son, Isaiah, last year. You are an incredible family and God is building such an awesome testimony through each one of you. Rest in His Peace and Comfort during this time. His will is perfect.
    Kim Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou...I know words really can't help but just know you and your family are in my prayers. You have been a cheerleader to me through my adoption process...I wish I could find the words to be your cheerleader now. All I know is God is caring for her and she feels pain no longer. May God carry you and your family right now. Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou,

    I was going through old post and started wondering how you were doing. Checked out your blog and saw you devastating news. Praying for you and your family. Drop a line to your friend at GMD once and while so we know how you are doing...

    Hugs,
    Staci

    ReplyDelete