22 August, 2009

Firsts--- an overdue update

We've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. For lack of pictures, I have been procrastinating an update. We have had some firsts around here so I figure I had better update before I forget! Pictures still to come.
Two weeks ago, Marisol and Mattea started back to school Mattea had participated in the summer program which was half a day three days a week but now she is a full-time second-grader! We had her IEP update and what do you know, they figured out it wouldn't work having her in with the regular second graders! No surprise there. We live in a small, rural town and our public school doesn't have any actual self-contained classes for special ed so they "built" Mattea an area all her own in the resource room. She has a full-time aide plus the resource teacher working with her one-on-one then she goes out to the playground with the other kids. They are doing short periods of interactions with her right now, plus her PT, OT and speech sessions. She has a set of drawers that they put different things in for her to explore, lots of cause and effect toys, a bean bag chair and a wagon for long trips. They are giving her two snacks plus lunch and they are toileting her. So far things seem to be going well but we will see how it goes. They said she is too old to integrate with the preschool. I will be watching closely to make sure she is getting services.
Marisol has a new teacher to get to know, but her teacher for the visually impaired is still the same, and has lots of new things for her to learn. As always, she enjoys school and has lots of friends.
This week, Kory and Estuardo both started their new schools in Albuquerque. Kory is going to Menaul School and initially he seems a little overwhelmed (5 subjects of homework on the first day) but I think the challenge is doing him good. I like that they are not "teaching to the test" like they were in public school.
Estuardo started Montessori preschool at La Escuela del Sol Montessori in the Primary group. He will be going half-a-day, five days a week to start with. He cries when I drop him off but they say he is doing well the rest of the day and excited about everything there. He is wearing big boy underwear to school, and also his light-up Spiderman SHOES instead of his cowboy boots.
We had Onnolee's evaluation, now next week is her IEP for preschool, which will be two full days a week, plus she will continue with her hippotherapy, hopefully.
The fun part is figuring out transportation and getting everyone where they need to be when I am at work. The girls will ride the bus, but Dad has to leave before 7 a.m. to get to Albuquerque with the boys, and the bus doesn't come until 8:30 or so. I think he's going to be driving EVERYONE until we get a better plan figured out. Thursdays and Fridays are not so complicated because I am home those days.
Stew has been gardening this summer, and we had some fresh grown squash, beans and potatoes. He had a little better luck than last year, so he's planning even more for next summer.
As for me, I broke down and bought us an X-Box 360 that came bundled with Guitar Hero 3, so Mom has been rocking....
I also signed up for a sewing project class next week. If it turns out nice, I will post pics.
As soon as I get caught up I will also post a whole bunch of family pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Can't wait for pics! Always enjoy seeing Mattea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What she forgot to mention is that gardening in the desert is really different then having a garden any place else first watering is interesting to say the least, second planting times are really different, we are at almost 6700 feet in elevation, what grows here is different because planting times are really critical and it has been ten years since I had a garden you do forget a lot when you don't do something.
    You should have seen her playing the xbox 360 it was fun to see her let loose and just plain have fun.
    I am in a stalled part of my college education because they didn't request my loan money in time so I have 3 weeks off. Would be nice but I am also trying to get ready for my next college go around and it starts in june only each year and now it is going to be tight to finish and start a new program.
    Also dad's bus line is really getting a work out as monday, tuesday and wednesday I have to make 3 round trips for the kids and still find time to do other things. Nothing like being a soccer dad and the truck does need the work out but the fuel costs are getting nuts. But what a ride!!!!
    We want to get some things done in the house before winter and get another freezer to put more food in. I am a firm believer that if don't have it one day it won't be there.
    Hope the trips because of needing to see doctor's in far off places is done for now but one never knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou,
    It's so great to read an update about your family. It sounds like life is busy, I can relate. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Mattea and the others.
    Rock on Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading through the last 2 months of posts, all the progress with the kids, Mattea's sight, hearing, tonsils and adenoids, all the new babies! Jesse's surgery, back to school, AMD. My mom had AMD, I fear it so badly. She's supposed to be taking Occuvites, fish oil and eating stuff like broccoli. She get's shots in her eyes when the AMD gets' "wet" but, before the shots, they lasered Hell out of one and ruined it forever. I've read a lot on the subject myself and am hopeful it will become more and more easily treatable with damage reversible in the very near future. I hope you have the best retinologist ever! Love love love you Lou. Am following you now on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete