28 January, 2009

GOT PASSPORT, GOT VISA, GOT PLANE TICKETS, COMING HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

We are coming HOME! Mattea's passport was ready for pick-up Monday afternoon without any problems. We took the night train from Odesa to Kyiv and went right from the train station to do Mattea's visa photos. Then after breakfast we headed to the US Embassy to apply for her visa. That also went smoothly and I was told to come back Wednesday at 2:00 to finish paperwork and pick up the visa.
I was able to contact another adoptive family who just had their SDA appointment on Monday and we got to meet for dinner at TGIFriday's on Tuesday night. That was something that I had been hoping to be able to do! (Picture a little farther down)

We had a late breakfast this morning at the Ukrainian Kitchen---I LOVE Ukrainian food! "Cutlets" and varenyky...total comfort food! I will miss that and/or have to learn to cook them at home. Varenyky with cherries inside and sour cream on top...yum!
At 2:00 we were at the Embassy again and about an hour later I walked out with Mattea's visa in hand!
I made one last shopping stop for some more of the Ukrainian tights for Mattea. They are very thick and warm and I do not think we have them in the US. I liked them so much that I wanted to be sure she had plenty for the next year or so.
Finally tonight they hooked up the internet at the apartment for me and I am able to post one last time before we head out in the morning.
Delta switched our flight from Saturday to Thursday without a hitch this time, thank goodness. So noon tomorrow we fly from Kyiv to JFK to Salt Lake City, then on Friday morning we head home to NM. Home.

I took this photo as a "baseline" to remember how Mattea looks now. I had them weigh her at the Embassy and she weighed between 23 and 24 pounds fully dressed. She does, however, like to eat so I hope those ribs don't show quite so much in a few months.

This is Mattea on the night train from Odesa to Kyiv. We had to take a "first-class" sleeping unit as the "second-class" section that we rode in before was sold out. She had not been feeling well for the past day or two, fussy and a fever.

Sad face on the train. No smiles for the last 2 days.

Folded in half, taking a nap in Odesa.

Mama, I don't feel well...
Luckily she slept well last night and woke up all smiles this morning and is back to her mealtime happy dances.

Here we are at Friday's with Debbie and her family who are here hoping to adopt Olga. Their public blog is http://www.jerdebwalker.blogspot.com/
This will be my last blog post until we are in the USA. Please keep us in your prayers as we head out tomorrow for that long overseas flight...To my family, I cannot wait to see you all again! I love you much! We are on our way HOME!!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting! Praying for a smoothe flight home for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou,
    I have been following your journey. Thank goodness you are on your way home soon. Take care, be careful and know you are in our prayers. I will be watching for new pics as soon as you get home!

    Nicole and Ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely sobbing at my desk right now... I am so exdited for you to finally be on your way home!!! I cannot wait to hear the stories of you having your whole family together!!!

    Many prayers for safe travels!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA! Home! Your picture of TGI Friday's made me laugh. We sat at that very table the same day...after Embassy appt. and doctor's appt. and celebrating because we were coming home! It must be the table where they put the Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for the two of you! How great it is to read that you are BOTH on your way home this time. What a blessing for you.:) I know you can hardly wait to see the rest of your family. You are a real trooper. I am so proud of you for rescuing Mattea! Now let the fun begin! Of course, I can't wait to hear ALL about your trip. We submit on Monday! It won't be long before we are right were you left off. I can't wait to talk to you. Get home, enjoy the family, rest and maybe one day next week you can give me a call. I am praying you ALL the way home!
    Blessings,
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doing the happy dance for you, my heart is beating fast with excitement! Youa re coming home, Mattea is coming home! What a joyous day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor baby does look sick :o( Praying for easy travels home. So glad you got to meet up with Debbie and her family, I follow their blog too ;o) . Looking forward to your reunion with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you got to spend time with Debbie. I hope your flight has gone well--I know having your girlie not feeling well isn't fun for either of you. I will be glad to hear you are home with your whole family.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, a few days late! LOL Just an FYI, up here in the tundra (aka Minnesota) we have really heavy winter tights, so I can always get you some if you need them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read all the way to this post and I just have to say congrats! You are so inspirational. I understand your feeling of being overwhelmed and I hope that gets better with time. I am so jealous that you met Debbie!

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete