03 January, 2009

TAGGY- for anyone who's ever loved a blankie

Estuardo came home to us at 4 1/2 months old and one thing I noticed was that he had a fascination with the tags on things like clothes, etc. At about that time they had just come out with the Taggies blankets, which were very expensive so I decided to make him a handmade taggy. I had a very soft piece of yellow minkee fabric already, and I headed to Walmart to see what I could find for the rest. I wanted to do the other side of the blanket in satin because I thought he would really like that. The only satin they had was red so that's what I got along with 1/8 yard pieces of a bunch of different grosgrain and satin ribbons. An hour later, the original Taggy was born and Estuardo absolutely loved it, even at that young age. It went everywhere with us and once he was more mobile, we started having trouble keeping track of it all around the house, so "fake" Taggy (a second one) was born. It took a long time for him to attach to the second one, he mostly clung to the original, but eventually he started carrying both of them at once. Meanwhile, I found a bunch of really cute satin ribbons with pictures on them. I also got a piece of minkee, yellow but the kind with dots embossed onto it. So I created a gourmet Taggy for him too. Well, that one never did gain acceptance as pretty as it was. It was usually tossed aside and he just carried the original 2. As luck would have it, one day original Taggy was lost for good and never found, so "fake" Taggy became the prized possession and that's the one we took to Ukraine with us. I obsessed over it and never let it out of my sight, knowing that the only Taggy left was the gourmet cast-off at home. We made it the whole trip until we got off the plane at JFK, and accidentally left it on the seat. Sadly, the clean-up crew on the plane throws everything away, and gone was a very special piece of my little man. I cried, he cried, and I promised him I would make him a new one. When we got home, he was so good about it, he accepted the cast-off until Mama could make him a new one. Well, I was able to find some plain yellow minkee and some red satin, and even duplicates of many of his favorite tags on the "originals" and today he was presented with not one but three new "real" Taggies! Not unexpectedly, gourmet cast-off is back under the couch once again, so I guess these passed the Taggy test.



2 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart! He sure looks happy. I'll bet you could sell a few of these cute blankies.

    ReplyDelete