22 January, 2009

While we wait...the oranges, the grocery store, the people, and my girl

Okay, so I can't sleep much...I don't think my body is going to make the time change this time...So Mattea and I decided to explore the 777 supermarket today. I cannot stop being amazed at the grocery store. For instance, I am used to Florida oranges and California oranges...I think there are about 20 different orange citrus fruits to choose from here. In this picture you see a Turkish orange, an Israeli orange, one that says "San Martin del Tesorillo"- not sure where that one hails from, and 2 from Egypt! None from sunny Florida. So I picked one of each to try--- I am sure the person weighing the produce thought I was nuts.
And you would not believe the amount of fresh produce to choose from, it's amazing. A whole 8 foot shelf with nothing but big boxes of mushrooms. Tons and tons of potatoes, cabbage, beets, huge carrots, etc. I am cooking a roast right now with a pot full of goodies. And the roast--- Irina says it's veal. She says they don't have much "beef," it's all veal. A whole deli counter with nothing but cheeses, yum. Fresh baked bread. Absolutely none of our pasty white American packaged bread. An aisle of manufactured cookies and treats and another aisle of bakery cookies. One "different" thing I saw in this market was a freezer of open boxes filled with loose frozen foods such as vegetables, pastas, and other prepared foods, with scoops and bags to take whatever amount you want. We picked and chose some fun things to try. I ended up with a huge heavy bag of stuff. Total cost, about $18. Amazing. And another interesting thing, not only do the prices defy my understanding, if you shop before lunch, everything is given an additional discount.
I wanted to write a little about the people here. It's very scary being in a country halfway around the world, that you are not familiar with, and have preconceived ideas about. But just about everyone I have met has been good and kind. The family who is renting the apartment to us gave Mattea a little stuffed animal that says "I love you" in Russian. Our big, burly cab driver very gently handled Mattea in and out of the van all day the other day talking to her sweetly. A complete stranger ran up to help me get Mattea into the front carrier today. Even thoughI do not speak or understand this language, the unspoken one that I hear is very kind. And of course, my translator Irina has made me feel very welcome too, and very patiently explains everything to me from the food items at the restaurant, to the way to wash your hands in the public toilet--- you don't, by the way, you should carry wet wipes. There isn't always soap.
Anyway...
Now for more princess pictures. I need to be quick as her new trick for today is trying to eat the potting soil from the potted plants...ugh, what a mess.




The eating is still going strong. She's leaning in here to see if there is any oatmeal left. Usually when I am feeding her, her face stays in the bowl to see what's still left and to make sure she gets every bit of it. But she does not like milk or apple juice, or grapes. Those are the only things I have found she won't eat.






10 comments:

  1. Happiness here at seeing you've got Mattea with you and she'll soon be home!!!
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou,
    I haven't commented much, but have been reading daily for updates. Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us all!
    We leave to get Aiden in 10 days! Derek and Renee fly home with their 3 boys (my nephews) on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the commentary! I really love hearing about things like grocery shopping and the nice people you run into. As for Mattea, oh my! She is so pretty and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou,
    Your new princess is so beautiful!!!!
    You will be home soon, and very thankful for that. It will go quickly.Enjoy the ride

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see all your pictures and hearing of all your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like Mattea looks happier ever single day!!! Thanks for giving details about your day! I love different cultures and experiencing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Lou, I love all the details about shopping and daily life. I do hope the passport comes SOON.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Lou, she is so beautiful! She looks like she is already doing so much better and you can see how happy she is. I'm so happy for you!! Praying you get to come home soon and have a wonderful reunion with your family!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is an absolute doll and definetely looks like very regal - quite the princess!!

    Jaimie (from RR)

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's so beautiful! Between my trip to VN, the holidays and our trip to PA, I've missed most of your excitement! I'm so glad to see that she is with you and praying you home quickly and safely!

    ReplyDelete