04 February, 2009

AV Canal

Mattea saw the pediatric cardiologist this morning. The tech who did her vital signs left the SAT monitor on for 15 minutes and just stood there staring at it waiting for it to change. It read 76-78%. When I told her those were the correct numbers, she said,"The doctor isnt going to like this, I am waiting for it to go up..." It didn't.
Then they did the echocardiogram. I tried to get them to explain what was on the screen, but I guess they are not allowed.
Dr. Greene came in then to speak with us and the news was that Mattea has complete AV canal, plus she is missing a muscle in her left ventricle and the left side of her heart is too small. She ordered her to be on 1 liter of O2 as much as possible, changed her meds, and ordered a cardiac cath for 3 weeks from now so the O2 can hopefully improve things before then.
Now we wait to see if she will be able to have heart surgery to repair the AV canal or whether the pulmonary hypertension has already caused too much damage to her lungs. And she is wearing socks on her hands...



20 comments:

  1. I will be praying for things to improve for Mattea's heart so that she will be able to have surgery. I will also pray for you and your family. This must be a frightening time now for you. I believe that God has good plans for your Mattea.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for her lungs and heart to be healthy enough for the surgery. What a beautiful girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She doesn't seem to mind the cannula too much in the photos! She looks pinker, too! Did you get an oximeter? If not, I would insist! At her age I would be very concerned about the lungs. I'll pray about that. Since she is still so tiny, maybe she has a lot more growing to do - growing new lung tissue would be nice!? Much love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, did the doc measure her pulmonary pressures with the echo? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're praying Lou....for Mattea and for you!
    DO you mind if I post a prayer request for Mattea on my blog and private forum?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to hug her, she looks so sad. We are praying for her, we have seen miracles happen before, and have faith she will get her miracle too.

    Hugs from the Levario family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying too, for your family and your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying! We have all witnessed a miracle performed on Emma's heart and He can do the same here.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to post it on my blog as well and give updates as well. ((HUGS)) and lots of prayers. Call me any time or e-mail and I'll call you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!

    I have loved following your blog. I just checked in to see how you and Mattea were doing and was saddened to see this news. Our family is praying for you....
    The Burckhard Family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww sweet girl. Praying here for the ability to do a successful surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems to me you got her just in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for this beautiful princess. Maqy God watch over her on this scary journey. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lifting her up in prayer!! That her little hear will improve and surgery will be very soon and very successful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She will be in our prayers and your family.

    "But if I were you, I would call on God and bring my problem before Him. God does wonders that cannot be understood: He does so many miracles they cannot be counted." Job 5:8,9

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lou,
    I'm praying for you guys. I know Meredith's Emma had such bad pulmonary hypertension that some doctors didn't think surgery was an option BUT GOD had another idea!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I came across your blog on Google search results. My daughter(5months) also has a complete AV Canal. She actually is having her surgery tomorrow!

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete