15 February, 2009

Quick update, progress

Problems and concerns seem to be working themselves out.
Mattea's little cheeks are doing much better. During the day she leaves the O2 cannula alone for the most part, and we only occasionally have to replace it into her nose. It does seem to stay on better looped around her head rather than her ears. At night we tried using extra thin Duoderm, and it worked great, except we only had one to try so while we wait for more, we are just using paper tape and it's also working well. We are no longer keeping the SAT monitor on, as Dr. Greene only wants an occasional "spot check."
Which means we have had some sleep!
We don't have a completely definitive answer on the Celiac disease. To me it looked like one lab was positive and one was negative. Our pediatrician seems to lean towards her not having it, but since we have taken out wheat and gluten from her diet, the blow-out diapers have finally stopped and her horrific skin rash has gone away. Could be a coincidence, but...
And I popped her on the scale last night and she now weighs 27 pounds naked weight. So that's a 3 pound gain! She has also lost some of the desperateness when she is eating. To me, that's the best sign of all.

4 comments:

  1. Lou,
    It's great to follow your blog and see the progress Miss Mattea is making. Praise God! It's amazing what a little bit of time and a good night's sleep will do for you. :) I will continue to pray for success with Mattea and her adjustments to her new home and family. I know you are on top of her health and will keep us posted. Just know that I am praying for each of you and you are loved. I am filled with joy to know she is safe, loved and cared for by her Forever Family. You are amazing! Keep up the good work. I'll let you know as soon as we get our SDA appointment. I am patiently, OK not so patiently, waiting for our turn to rescue Timur.
    Blessings,
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things always look better when you are getting good sleep! So glad she is doing well, and food allergies can be huge. Congratulations on the three pounds, that is SUCCESS! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, happy news!! So glad to hear that things are going better. Thanks for keeping us posted.
    :-)
    Theresa
    Rockledge, FL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Celiac's, Lou! The gluten-free diet stopped a lot of the pain and inflammation in my body, it's such a healthy diet. I have one herpetiform mark on my arm that seems permanent, when all is well it's flat and normal colored, almost like nothing at all, but get some gluten in me and it swells and turns red and purple. No more bloated stomach, tender stomach and the good foods and vitamins and supplements I take now seem to be properly absorbed. I'd spare her an intestinal biopsy for definitive dx (unless she's under for another procedure and it's a "while we have her under" thought) and stay with something that seems to be doing well by her. She looks wonderful and I'm loving all this progress!

    ReplyDelete