01 February, 2009

I'll miss the clapping...

It's very, very good to be home and watching Mattea enjoy her freedom! The kids are getting along great!
To explain the title of this post, even though I was so, so homesick during the time I spent in Ukraine, it really did grow on me in ways I wasn't expecting. I think I blogged on this previously--- My Mom expressed concern that I was going so far away and worried about my safety. When I got home, I reassured her that the Ukrainians had taken good care of us while we were there. When I was alone with Mattea, I never once had to navigate the many stairways with her stroller by myself. There was always someone running up to help me carry it, even down multiple floors of stairs. The food was comfort food to the max. The sound of the language is musical and I didn't realize how familiar it had become until I was at the luggage area in Salt Lake and I helped an older woman pull her heavy suitcase off the carousel. She turned to me and said "Spasiba" (Russian for Thank-You) and then got embarassed because she hadn't spoken English. I immediately said "Pazhaloosta" (Russian for Your Welcome), it just automatically came out, and she got all excited and asked if I spoke Russian, which I really don't. Meanwhile, I was all choked up at hearing the familiar words and knowing it was probably the last time in a long time that I would hear them again.
So to the title of the post, every time we flew with Ukrainians on the plane, whenever the plane would land, every single Ukrainian on the plane would clap an applause, a gratitude that they had landed safely. When our plane landed in Albuquerque, there was silence.
Here are some pics of our first few days at home---
Two little mischief-makers emptying out the box of diapers and flinging them everywhere. It's fun to watch Mattea get into mischief.
Rub-a-dub-dub...

Mattea found the feather duster.
We were unsure of whether or not to put her in a crib but opted to give a toddler bed a try since she does seem to have awareness of the edges, and she has done fine!
"Little" brother Estuardo interacting---usually gently...

13 comments:

  1. I remember the clapping too! It was different, but what a great way to thank the pilot and God for a safe flight.
    I love seeing Mattea home with her family. She fits right in!!:)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I loved looking at the new pictures. We always like to check up on Mattea and pray together. Thanks for sharing about the clapping. I guess the silence must have really seemed strange after experiencing that.

    Will Mattea be seeing a cardiologist soon? I'm so concerned for her, will you let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to see Mattea home with her brother and sister! She's so cute in her little footie pajamas - makes me want to scoop her up and cuddle her! Welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love looking her at her new life, blessings from Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my....I couldn't believe Mattea's little body in the tub compared to Onnolee and Estuardo. She sure is tiny and I'm sure she's been fattened up by the "comfort" food y'all enjoyed. So glad you are home. I don't understand why Americans don't clap....I always do cause I feel like God got us there. Our country takes things for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, oh, you are home, HOME! I loved the clapping too, they did not do that when we landed in Stockholm.

    I am so happy you adoption journey is complete, and feel as you do about Ukraine, I will always long to return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home to happiness, love and (God-willing) good health. I can't tell you the sheer joy and relief I have in seeing you home with her, Lou. I love the bath tub shots and Mattea on her butterfly sheets...all's well in Puderbaughland and I can sleep with a peaceful smile tonight knowing you're all together and where you belong. Love you. Goodnight everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful that your whole family is home together!!! It have been so incredible to watch your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'd forgotten about the clapping - i'm so glad i read your post today. and i'm so glad to know that your little one is HOME where she belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, loved the clapping when we arrived in Kiev, or is it Kyiv? I also concur with you on the homesickness, although I'm sure I'll feel less of it once I'm in region with my son. My appointment is tomorrow morning, and I'm nervous as all get out. Having internet and a Skype phone sure helps, though. I just wish my hubby would get up and answer the phone!

    Natalie
    TX
    www.adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a lurker who jumped over from either the Cornish blogsite or Reed's, I can't remember now. Anyway, you don't know me from Adam, but, I am hooked and can't wait to hear more about Mattea's transition into your loving home. Thank you for rescuing such a beautiful angel from institutionalization!!
    :-)
    Theresa
    Rockledge, FL
    mom to Audrey, age 9 and Annie, age 6 (Ds)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy to see her home with her siblings! How are the older ones doing with her? How wonderful she has some closer to her age and older. What a blessing. I can't wait until I see smiles on her little face, it takes a bit of time, everything is so new and overwhelming. Anah is just starting to smile more and more as time goes on, it's such a blessing. She sure is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lou, it is so great to see your little ones all together. I liked the bathtub shots, too. I hope the appointment tomorrow goes OK.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete