23 December, 2008

The best and the worst

I am finally home in Edgewood, NM, and almost back on schedule, except now I am flip-flopping again as I am back to work, nightshift... after a 12-hour drive yesterday from Salt Lake City.
I would have to say that this trip was pretty close to the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most eye-opening and amazing. I am so glad I got to have the experience.
Some of my favorite parts were: Of course, finally getting to meet our sweet Mattea!!! The foods---reminded me of my childhood. My ancestors are all from Eastern Europe and my family get togethers way back when were all about that type of food. It was SO good! Riding the night train---Estuardo and I thought it was a lot of fun! The people---everyone from the children at the orphanage, to the caregivers and principal, to the babushkas waving their fingers at us because the kids weren't dressed warm enough--- were all wonderful.
Some of my least favorite parts were: #1 absolute least favorite was the WC at the train station---nuff said. The 55 hour trip home---way too long on all of us.
The SADDEST part--- We spent almost 3 weeks in country and never lost track of my son's handmade "Taggy" blanket. I did "Taggy" checks everywhere we went and obsessed over it. When we landed in NYC after an 11 hour flight, we grabbed all our stuff and rushed off the plane, got to the immigration counter and boom, it hit me--- I forgot to do a "taggy" check and sure enough we left "him" on the plane. I made a mad dash about 1/2 mile back to the gate, which was locked by then, and managed after a frantic 10 minutes to ring the bell to an intercom and get a hold of the plane. I was told very bluntly that anything left on the plane had already been THROWN AWAY...ARRGGHHH!!!!!! I think I cried harder than my son.
I miss baby girl and can't wait to go bring her home. We have 4 days left of our 10-day wait, but I am probably heading back around January 17 after all of the holidays are over so we can get back home as soon as possible.
Sending a HUGE thank-you for all donations to Mattea Olena's grant fund!!!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home! Glad they had some shifts for you to match your new biorythms! Praying for a quiet holiday and a MERRY CHRISTMAS! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So much! Welcome home and please have a Merry Christmas!

    Poor you and taggy. I remember the day Dan's blanket fell from a grocery cart and how frantically I retraced my steps. I cried harder than Dan, too. He comforted me!

    Wanted to share this with everyone, you probably already know: http://www.handmedowns.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking about you and praying for you. You must be the most organized person I know to have so many children in your house and your water is about to break again! God bless you my friend for doing God's will in your life! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are all home safely. I'm sooo sorry about taggy, I know how important those things can be to our children :o( . I thought my 36hours of travel home with Anah was bad, you guys had me WAY beat, UGH!

    Praying for a blessed Christmas. Even though it is difficult not having Mattea home, just think of all the joy next Christmas will have with her home in her loving family secure in her new environment and enjoying all the joys that Christmas brings!

    Praying for speed and ease in the final stages of Mattea's journey home to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. I can't wait till she is in your arms for good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see her home! jack lost his "B" at a hotel when he was 4. I was so distraught as well. We kept up with that "rag" for 4 years and then we left it. I called the hotel the next day and they said they couldn't find it. I amsure they threw it away! They should know Better! i tell ya!!!!!

    ReplyDelete