04 December, 2008

An hour to myself...Day 3 in Eastern Europe

Hi everyone, I can think a little better, and I will try to sum up our first few days "in country"---
We drove to Salt Lake City last Wednesday to spend the holidays with our family, then on Monday morning, we left on Delta for JFK airport at around 8:30 in the morning. We then had a direct flight to our destination which I thought would be the best chance of not losing any luggage. We, and all our luggage, made it here fine, with a tailwind that took a few hours off of the travel time, however prior to leaving JFK we had a three hour delay due to engine trouble and a plane switch. Our facilitators met us at the airport and took us to our apartment. It is very old but I like it! It has a kitchen, living room, and bedroom, a tiny room with just a toilet, and a tiny room with a bathtub and sink. (I took some pics but can't post until I figure out how...) We DO have hot water, yay, but we do not have a washing machine, so yesterday was my first time to do laundry by hand. We were told to lay out the damp clothes on the radiators to dry and this worked very well as even my sweatpants were dry in less than a day.
There is a small grocery store about a block away where we have bought most of our food. The deli meats and cheeses are very good, and the fruit juices are amazing. We managed to get the "right" water right off ("no gas"!) and even some fresh fruit. Our first meal out was at the "Potato House" where they presented us a menu translated to English. The meal we had was baked potatoes stuffed with meat, cheese, broccoli, and "green sauce" which was a kind of cucumber sour cream. The meat had been cooked in some really good spices. Two of these plus a whole liter of cherry juice was around $8. Today we ventured into a "PECTOPAH" (pronounced ree-stoh-RAHN) for our dinner and we had borscht, fresh vegetable salad, chicken, mashed potatoes, and grape juice, but it was considerably more expensive. The food was good though but we probably will not eat there again. I have heard such good things about the borscht, I just had to find me some. Estuardo really enjoyed his and ate just about a whole big bowl himself.
The hardest part about the trip so far has just been adjusting to the time change, 9 hours later here than we are used to. THe babies are taking their noontime nap at 7 at night and then getting up and staying awake all night. Today we all took a nap in the afternoon, so I am HOPING they start to adjust.
Tomorrow morning at 10 is our SDA appointment, finally, and since our Mattea Olena is down in Izmayl, we will not get to meet her until Monday. Due to the size of our family, and all our luggage, we decided to be driven in a minivan. The train was our other option and it only goes to Odessa, so the problem was they have limited access to minivans, and we would have needed TWO cars to get us to Izmayl. So we are told it will be about a 6 hour drive by minivan.
We miss all of our family and friends--- big hugs to them. I will try to post pictures by Monday at the latest. That is when we get to finally meet our girl!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Lou! I am glad that you all made it safely to Ukraine and will be with Mattea soon!

    We just learned that our dossier was submitted last week, so I am following your blog closely as we will be making this exact trip shortly! I hope you are able to catch a glimpse of Ellen (Alina) in Izmayl. If you have any news of her to report we would be so grateful.. hopefully we'll have her home in late Feb/march!!!

    Safe travels to you and update when you can!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou, I remember the days where the kids wanted to stay up all night and sleep all day, I hope all goes well on Monday. we are praying for you.

    Kris and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting Lou! I wonder if she might be at the same place as Zhenya - they are the same age! Like Anne, if you did see him I would be so grateful for an update. Praying for an awesome first meeting! Can't wait to hear about it!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such good, good news. I'm glad you are safely there. I well remember our first venture to a pectopah--yummy but spendy. Juan and Nancy took as to a great cafeteria pretty close to Independence Square and there's tons of fast food at the mall--just scarcity of tables :) My husband likes to cook so while he was there we had stir fried meat and veggies, fried potatoes, etc. Have you tried the carbonated fruit drinks or the cream-cheese filled breads? I thought they were great, too. It's pretty hard to find something I don't like to eat though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I forgot to sign my name. I'm anonymous cuz I couldn't figure out what other category I'd be
    Joy,RR

    ReplyDelete